<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sugar cookies.Are they like shortbread cookies?
Felicity and Elizabeth make these and I want to make them too, but what are they??? Are they like shortbread cookies? What's in them?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sugar cookies.Are they like shortbread cookies?
I used to have a recipe for shrewsberry cake...it was similar to a pound cake but much heavier, it was made with lots of butter and sugar. It was made in a bundt pan. The fascinating part about this cake that was as it baked the sugar formed a crust on top of the cake so you didnt need to frost it..
Mary
Sounds Yummy! Let me know when you make one again. I will be right over. [img]wink.gif[/img]
<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ January 25, 2005 08:00 AM: Message edited by: MaryCarly ]</font>
If you get a recipe can you share it? Sounds really nice. I am really into Felicity now.
I thought Shrewsbury cakes in Felicity's day were more like cookies than pound cake? Does anyone have Felicity's cookbook? There's a recipe for Queen's Cake in the AG Party book, and that looks more like something you'd bake in a bunt pan -- with currants in it.
If anyone wants a recipe, just go to Google and type in 'Shewsbury cake'. You'd be surprised! There might be serveral recipes.
In fact ladies, I just searched on Google, and many recipes appeared under 'Shewsbury Cake.' (I didn't type in 'cakes' because sometimes one receives more responses when a word is not plural.)
Here's a recipe from a cookery book dated 1764:
English Housewifery Exemplified by Elizabeth Moxon
We have the Felicity cookbook, and like all of the old PC books, it gives little snippets of historial information. One of the things I remember from the cookbook is that in colonial times the bread oven would be built into the brick next to the fireplace, and the women could tell their oven was hot enough to bake bread if they could put their arm into the oven and leave it there til they counted to 30, but no highter. I would never have made it in colonial times-even with all of my modern conviences, it's still a hassle to get dinner on the table every night.
Bookmarks